It’s been a week or two since I’ve written a blog post. I’ve been painting pretty consistently and below are my last two paintings. I know…I know…a little early for Christmas themed paintings, but I’m trying to get a head start.
I thought I’d write “20 Random Art Facts About Me” so you can get to know me better as a painter.
Painting in my studio
- My studio is in a room in our house, which means that it’s extremely convenient, but I also get sidetracked sometimes. It’s small but works for now.
- I find abstract art to be the most challenging genre to master. Creating something from nothing and out of your head takes special skill.
- I’ve been painting since 2009, but painting on a more serious and dedicated level for the past year.
- I made it into my first juried exhibit this year.
- My favorite color is turquoise.
- I was around 90% self taught until this year when I took a few still life classes.
- I tone my canvas with Burnt Sienna 95% of the time.
- When I create abstract art, my process is influenced heavily by the abstract expressionist movement. I’m not really sure what/who influences my still life yet.
- I dread cleaning my brushes after I paint. It’s probably what I dislike the most about the painting process.
- My favorite surface to work on is hardboard panels.
- I have a degree in business, not art, but if I could do college over, I would major in art.
- My current favorite subjects to paint is different kinds of fruit and vegetables.
- I try to get started painting by 10:00 a.m. on days that I paint.
- I listen to all kinds of music when I paint but my favorites are Enya and 80s music.
- I’m a late bloomer. I didn’t start painting until I was 34, ten years ago.
- I always have something to drink when I paint…coffee, tea, soda.
- I believe even the most masterful artists need to continue learning. Painting is a never ending journey.
- I hope to start plein air painting next spring.
- I sit down when I paint still life but stand up when painting abstracts. My whole body gets a little workout when I paint abstracts. That’s when I can get the most energy into a piece.
- My studio is usually messy!
I would love to get to know you too. Feel free to leave a comment with random things about you.